Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Sorry Rog, I dont buy it


Does anyone buy this crap that Roger Clemens spewed out yesterday?

"I want to state clearly and without qualification: I did not take steroids, human growth hormone or any other banned substances at any time in my baseball career or, in fact, my entire life," Clemens said Tuesday in a statement issued through his agent, Randy Hendricks. "Those substances represent a dangerous and destructive shortcut that no athlete should ever take.

"I am disappointed that my 25 years in public life have apparently not earned me the benefit of the doubt, but I understand that Senator Mitchell's report has raised many serious questions. I plan to publicly answer all of those questions at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. I only ask that in the meantime people not rush to judgment."

Sorry Rocket, I don’t buy it. Let’s see. Your personal strength coach who followed you from Toronto to New York has told the Mitchell investigation that he injected you with steroids and sold you HGH. Your best friend and training partner has admitted using HGH. When the Red Sox famously let you go in what former GM Dan Duquette dubbed “the twilight” of you career, all of a sudden you turned into an absolute beast in your late 30’s and early 40’s. You also looked bigger. Barry Bonds, the man at the center of the Steroids/HGH controversy took a similar route in his late 30’s and early 40’s.

Do you think it’s a coincidence that every other player at that age deteriorates or retires, yet you and Bonds looked bigger and faster than ever and put up the best stretch of your respective careers? Bonds claimed he never “knowingly” took performance enhancing drugs, yet you completely deny ever taking anything?

How about this Roger. According to your personal strength coach, He injected you with steroids right before the 2002 playoffs. In your next two starts, you pitched 16 innings, allowing one earned run on four hits. Perhaps the greatest back to back starts in modern playoff history.

While I am beginning to move the Mitchell investigation to the Elian Gonzalez file, it is interesting to note that other than David Justice (who gave a great ranting denial on both ESPN and the Yes Network), many of the others on the list have acknowledged that indeed they did take steroids or try HGH. Yet one after another, from Orioles 2B Brian Roberts to Pettitte, used the standard “I only tried it once” routine. Yeah, and did you know that I played basketball at Kansas and lettered for four years?

For some reason, I have it in for Clemens and I don’t believe him one bit. Maybe it was because of his arrogance thinking he could just come and go when he pleased with the Astros. Maybe it was the $28 million pro-rated deal he raped Brian Cashman for last year (don’t blame Rocket for getting his I guess, blame Cashman for being so stupid). I don’t know what it is, but I’ve always disliked him.

The bottom line, where there is smoke, there is fire. I’m surprised Clemens can still breathe with all of the smoke that is surrounding. He can tell the media all he wants that it is his word against his trainer's, but there is too much circumstantial evidence to believe him.

No comments: