Thursday, February 14, 2008

C.C. See-Ya

We've said it all along, enjoy him while you can. In a shock to nobody, C.C. Sabathia and his agents at Legacy Sports Group have announced through his website that they have called off talks with the Indians on any contract extension they may have been working on until after the season.

"This off-season, through my representatives at Legacy Sports Group, I have discussed the possibility of a contract extension with the Cleveland Indians. At this time, we haven't been able to reach agreement. Now that the reporting date for spring training is here, it is time to put aside contract discussions so that I can focus all of my energies and attention on preparing for the upcoming season. "

"I look forward to a successful 2008 season, both for myself and for the Indians as a whole."

"I will do everything within my power to help the club to its first World Series appearance since 1997 and its first World Series Championship since 1948.

"There will be time after the season for the Indians and my representatives to discuss my contract status. I remain hopeful that these discussions will result in a contract extension that will keep me with the franchise for many years to come. In the meantime, in order to avoid any distractions, my representatives and I will not make any further comment about my contractual situation beyond this statement."

"There will be time after the season" he says. Does he think we are buying that? C.C. is going to hit the market and break the bank. More power to him. We love C.C., but we are realistic here. The boy wonder we watched in the rotation at age 20 has now become a man in front of our very eyes and has a chance to cash in after a great run here in Cleveland. It is what it is. The Indians best shot to keep him was to re-sign him before Spring Training. Now that isn't happening.

Let's just hope he brings us a title on his way out the door.

No comments: